With your permission, we can provide your checking account with some extra protection.
At Empower FCU, we don't want anything to happen that disrupts your everyday finances. Our general practice is to honor check and automatic bill payments, even if you overdraw your account. If you want this overdraft coverage extended to debit card transactions or ATM withdrawals, you'll need to let us know.
- The federal government requires all financial institutions to request permission from their members/customers when offering overdraft services on ATM and everyday debit card transactions.
- Without permission, any overdrawn purchases made with your debit card, or ATM withdrawals exceeding your available balance, will be declined.
- Contact us to offer your permission or to get more information.
Empower Federal Credit Union is a full-service financial institution serving members throughout New York State.
Frequently Asked Questions
All of our members who use our debit cards for purchases or for ATM withdrawals. (* Account must be open for 30 days prior to activation of this service.)
Call us, visit us at your local branch, or contact us through the "Messages" selection in the dropdown menu when you hover over your name within online banking. Important Note: Once approved, a signed authorization form must be completed/returned prior to overdraft services being available. Account must be open for 30 days prior to activation of this service.
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction. We can cover your overdrafts in two different ways:
- We have standard overdraft practices that come with your account.
- We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to your savings account, which may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices. To learn more, ask us about these plans.
We do authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- Automatic bill payments
- ATM transactions
- Everyday debit card transactions
Under our standard overdraft practices:
- We will charge you a fee each time we pay an overdraft, as disclosed in our Fee Schedule.
- There is no limit on the total fees we can charge you for overdrawing your account.
The amount of any overdraft, plus any fees, shall be due and payable within 30 days of the account becoming overdrawn. You are obligated to reimburse Empower by depositing sufficient funds to cover the item or transaction paid and any associated fees. Reimbursement shall be made through direct deposit (including directly deposited Social Security benefit payments), transfer of funds, or regular deposit.
Empowering you to make the best financial decisions.
Explore valuable tools and education to support your unique financial journey.